Here is what we learned!
1. Heartworms are spread from animal to animal by mosquitoes. Even if your pets are indoors only, it's important to give them heartworm prevention monthly. All pets are susceptible!
2. It takes six months for heartworms to show as positive on a Heartworm Antigen Test? Immature heartworms travel through a pet's blood stream until they become adults. This is why we recommend giving monthly heartworm prevention year-round and testing your pet's blood yearly. That forgotten dose last year could have resulted in an infestation.
3. Cats can get heartworms too! Unfortunately, there is no effective way to kill heartworm disease in cats. Though symptoms can often be treated, heartworm disease in cats can cause Heartworm Associated Respiratory Disease that may result in sudden death.
Prevention is the best way to help your cat(s). We recommend and carry a product called Revolution which we recommend using year round. It's a topical that will prevent heartworm disease, kill fleas, and treat and control ear mites, hookworms and roundworms. If you are interested in using another brand, once you've collected your top choices, feel free to give us a call and we'll let you know if our veterinarians approve of the product.
4. Heartworm infestations are 100% preventable! Preventing infestations is MUCH easier than treating them. AND! Much easier on your wallet!
5. Heartworms can grow as long as 6 inches in a dog! An infestation can have as many as one to DOZENS of heartworms in one pet!
6. It can take YEARS for clinical signs of a heartworm infestation to appear in a dog. By then, the heartworm infestation has already caused extensive damage to the dog's cardiovascular system.
7. Heartworm infestations are 100% preventable! Whether it's an oral, topical or injectable prevention - find what works best for your family and use it! Protect your pets! Not sure which product is right for you? Give us a call and we can help you decide!